Legal Shield is a short term insurance product. For an affordable premium, you and your family are covered against legal fees relating to criminal, civil, labour matrimonial and administrative matters for up to N$300,000 per claim. A single policy option is also available and covers a single person for up to N$150,000 per claim.
Who is covered?
You, your spouse or partner in a recognised union and a maximum of five (5) dependent children under the age of 21 who form part of the household. In the event that a dependent child studies at a recognised educational institution, they a covered until they reach the age of 25.
What benefits do I receive?
Legal fees are covered up to N$300,000 per case for the following matters:
- Criminal Matters: We provide assistance for bail applications and criminal trials
- Civil Matters: This includes civil matters by or against you in both the High Court and Magistrates Court.
- Labour Proceedings: Not only does the benefit include all proceedings in terms of the Labour Act which is conciliation and arbitration at the Labour Commissioner, appeal to the Labour Court but also assistance and representation at salary/wage negotiations, discrimination/victimisation, internal hearings and unfair labour practices. Members of the NDF and Namibian Police Service can only be represented by Legal Practitioners and we will appoint these practitioners to assist.
- Administrative Proceedings
- Conveyancing of residential property
- Administration of deceased estates
For more information, contact your nearest branch or our call centre at 061 275-4111.
What happens after I have submitted a claim?
If the services of a Legal Practitioner or a Labour Consultant is required, Legal Shield will appoint them to assist you and Legal Shield will pay their fees.
Additional free funeral benefit
If you keep your policy fully paid up, in the event of the death of you or your spouse/partner, the Insurer will pay a free funeral benefit to the beneficiary that you nominate. This benefit is equal to 100 times your monthly premium. If your monthly premiums is N$250 per month, the free funeral benefit will be N$25,000.