Legal Shield is a short-term insurance product that offers cover against legal fees incurred for civil, criminal, labour, matrimonial and administrative matters for you and your family. The drafting and registration of ante nuptial contracts as well as cover for civil and criminal matters in South Africa is also covered. Conveyancing costs of residential property is also covered. Now, for an additional monthly premium, you can also enjoy cover for your business activities that are not your main source of income.
WHO IS COVERED?
The policyholder, his/her spouse and up to 5 children under the age of 21. In the event that a dependent child studies at a recognised educational institution, they are covered until they reach the age of 25.
WHAT IS COVERED?
- Civil litigation in both the Magistrates and High Court
- Civil litigation includes inter alia rental disputes, contractual disputes, motor vehicle accidents
- Conveyancing of private residential property
- Drafting and registration of Ante Nuptial Contracts
- Protection Orders
- Maintenance matters
- Access to children
- Assistance with internal hearings
- Salary/wage negotiations
- Unfair labour practices
- Unfair dismissal
- Internal appeals
- Referrals to the Labour Commissioner
- Appeals to the Labour Court
- Assistance with bail applications
- Legal representation for criminal trials
- Criminal appeals
An example would be assistance due to an unreasonable refusal by the Department of Home Affairs to grant permanent residence.
OPTIONAL ADDED BENEFITS
- Hospital Cover – Pays out if hospitalised for seven days and longer
- Income Protection – Insures you and your spouse against the loss of income due to illness
- Dread Disease – Cover in the event of: heart attack, stroke, cancer, paraplegia, kidney failure, total blindness, organ transplant and motor neuron disease
- Funeral Cover – Funeral benefit is paid to a nominated beneficiary or estate to assist with the expenses related to your funeral
- Personal Business Cover – in the event that you have a secondary source of income, this add on benefit covers civil litigation by or against your business. These could amount to contractual disputes, collection of outstanding debts or even infringement of your intellectual property
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I HAVE SUBMITTED A CLAIM?
If the services of a Legal Practitioner or a Labour Consultant is required, Legal Shield will appoint them to assist you and Legal Shield will pay their fees.
ADDITIONAL FREE FUNERAL BENEFIT
If you keep your policy fully paid up, in the event of the death of you or your spouse/partner, the Insurer will pay a Free Funeral benefit to the beneficiary that you nominate. This benefit is equal to 100 times your monthly premium. I.e. if your monthly premium is N$ 250 per month, the Free Funeral benefit will be N$ 25,000.
CHECK YOUR POLICY CONTRACT AND SCHEDULE OF INSURANCE FOR EXACT TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF COVER